Wednesday, March 11, 2015

1st Grade: Seahorses

1st Grade: Art and Literacy

The seahorse collages are based on the book Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle.

For more information please follow me on Instagram
@youngschoolartwithmr.g

Like me on Facebook




First, we painted with a variety of sponges and stampers to create beautiful texture sheets. 




Next, shapes were cut out and the seahorse began to take shape. 




Finally,we added coral, seaweed, and a starfish. 

The students loved painting with a Q-tip to add details.


The students created beautiful and colorful seahorses! 

This unit of art culminated with each class writing Mr. Carle a letter. 

We are eager to send him our letters and hope to hear back from him soon.



 For more information about Eric Carle's life, books, and art please visit his website www.eric-carle.com.

1 comment:

  1. Love this project. I have to ask, did you hear back from your letter to Eric Carle? I am a K-1 art teacher and we did a lesson based on him by making our own pattern papers and then cutting out for a collage and I sent picture samples and a letter and never heard, I was surprised.

    ReplyDelete